Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe storage, ammo and firearms

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a very large safe and want to store my ammo in with my rifles. This safe does not have a separate lockable area and was wondering can I use lock boxes or old metal ammo tins with locks and keep them inside the safe. The "safe storage" guidelines keep referring to "an approved by the commissioner" but I can find no reference to is this ok or not. The safe is big enough that I can get inside and do a little dance. I have my pelican cases in there and room for shelves. Be nice to just lock everything up in one place. I was thinking of putting a school locker in there for the ammo. Until I buy another dozen rifles I have room to burn.

Could I build my own locked area out of sheet metal and just insert it into the free area.?

Thanks everyone for any feed back

Best to call your F.A.R. for the interpretation of this legislation regarding your safe question.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Maverick" post=9627
      Best to call your F.A.R. for the interpretation of this legislation regarding your safe question.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************
      Your assuming whoever you get on the phone will know what they're talking about, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you might get the idiot who told me I needed a cat H license to buy .357 ammo for my Rossi lever gun.

Originally posted by Apocalypse" post=9616
    Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a very large safe and want to store my ammo in with my rifles. This safe does not have a separate lockable area and was wondering can I use lock boxes or old metal ammo tins with locks and keep them inside the safe. The "safe storage" guidelines keep referring to "an approved by the commissioner" but I can find no reference to is this ok or not. The safe is big enough that I can get inside and do a little dance. I have my pelican cases in there and room for shelves. Be nice to just lock everything up in one place. I was thinking of putting a school locker in there for the ammo. Until I buy another dozen rifles I have room to burn.

Could I build my own locked area out of sheet metal and just insert it into the free area.?

Thanks everyone for any feed back
    What would be best is if you give me your safe and I'll get you one that has a lockable box included.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess if it came down to it I have enough room to buy another safe and put it inside the the bigger one. I will give the FAR a call, I like sitting on hold listening to there awesome muzak

[quote="Apocalypse" post=9616]Hello everyone,

In Vic you can get a lockable tool box for your ammo and keep it in your safe if you want.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Might hel[ ois you say which state you are from, as the regs differ state to state.

In QLD a lockable tool box is OK for ammo as well.

I have lots of ex-mil ammo boxes (which I have fitted with padlocks) lying around on my living room floor lol This is perfectly acceptable for ammo storage. Also plastic MTM or metal Bunnings cash boxes. Locked receptacles, same thing.

Comment

Code:
      (3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be
      stored in a locked container separate from the safe
      in which the firearm must be stored.
      would seem in vic that you can't store ammo in the same safe

Comment

• MrCarbine
        MrCarbine commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Thermionix" post=11797
        Code:
        (3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be
        stored in a locked container separate from the safe
        in which the firearm must be stored.
        would seem in vic that you can't store ammo in the same safe
        Would seem you are WRONG!

I spoke to the Police about this very issue when they inspected my safe a few weeks ago. They said it's fine to store ammo in a locked container, i.e cash box, in my gun safe.

Comment

In nsw if its separated in a locked box then you can store it in the safe.
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=13249
          In nsw if its separated in a locked box then you can store it in the safe.
          But you must store the key to the locked box outside the safe.

This is what most pistol shooters do and it is on one of the NSW Police pistol FAQ sheets
      Working...
      X