Starting a pest control business (Qld)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a pest control business (Qld)

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to this sport but can't help but think it would be possible to start a pest control business on paper to write off shooting expenses on tax and then maybe even use it in combination with a farmer or 2 to get a cat d license? It's something I don't know a lot about and am interested to know if anyone has set up such a business and if they have clients ect.

I appreciate that there would be insurances and certifications that would be needed so I guess what I asking is what are they?

won't happen mate
    Why would anybody pay for a service that others are willing to do for free
    as to the cat d every trick in the book has been tried by kiddies like you if you want a semi go buy a property become a primary producer and go for your life
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• Kmus
      Kmus commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi fish,
      I don't want it to make money, just to use as a write of and I don't even really want cat d that was more of a side note. That this buisness could be manipulated to help in accruing a cat d license.

Put it this way if my existing (non shooting related business) was to set up a "buisness" and invest in gear ect to my knowledge it will be a tax write off as the buisness will make no money.

You think I was really going to try and charge people for pest control? I'm not that wet behind the ears fish.

If you jump though all the hoops and pay the money there is no reason you cant become a dealer.
    Although I dont think pest control would be the best avenue to go about this,

There are a few professional shooters on this forum and I am guessing they didnt come out of the womb with dealer licenses attached.

After talking to a dealer I was told it is no easy process and you better be in it to make a living as the expenses will out weigh any savings / tax perks.

To me it sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree for the wrong reasons.
    JH

Comment

• Kmus
      Kmus commented
      Editing a comment
      John,
      Thanks for your reply, I did not think of the dealer license.

I will look into the requirements and related expenses.

As I said to fish I don't want to do this to make money just wondered if it would work out cheaper once all the expenses are taken into account.

Just thinking if you have a dealer license there would be no pta waiting (assumption)

Sorry I am mixing up on my C's and D's.

I am not sure of the process of becoming a cat C pro shooter.
    I was have never read up on it as I never thought the gains would be worth the mucking around.

JH

Comment

My business,Shooting Sports, is going thru the initial hoops for qld DEALERS license later this year
      Armourer license is much harder and different
      Armourer is Gunsmith can make and repair. Dealer can't make but can Repair,Store, Broker ,SELL ,Buy trade
      Armourer and dealer licenses ARE 2 different licenses in Queensland.
      Armourer info link -->
      http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/armourers/dealers/default.htm
      Dealer Link:- ->
      http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/armourers/armourers/default.htm
      [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
      [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
      [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
      [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
      [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Kmus
        Kmus commented
        Editing a comment
        Right so it seems the license I would be after would be dealer license. This would satisfy all tax purposes however not aid the licensing in other categories. Which is the aim of this tread. If I ever decide I want cat d I will tackle that then.

What is shooting sports? I had a look at the website but am still not sure what you do? Maybe I had the wrong website?
      http://www.shootingsports.com/home.html

Comment

yes you do have the wrong website
        .com domains are NOT the same as .com.au which are the preferred choice for AUSSIE business websites.

I will be using ShootingSports.com.au as well as several other .com.au names I own.
        [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
        [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
        [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
        [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
        [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Kmus
          Kmus commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, since this thread is is primarily about shooting related businesses, do you mind sharing what your business will do?

Yes the .com domains are used both for Australian businesses and internationals. .com.au are generally limited to sites based in and aimed solely at Australia.

My (non shooting related) business targets international and Australian clients therefore has a .com domain

Just my 2 cents worth but I understand not only does your business need to operate as a pest control business but that business must constitute the majority of your income (ie greater than 50%). If not then you will struggle to get a "D" license.

Go with fish - get the job as a manager on a large property or buy one yourself.

Comment

• Kmus
          Kmus commented
          Editing a comment
          Just been looking around there are half a dozen 120-150 acre blocks for sale close to me. But if I did go down that path I would want at least 1000 acres

A little off topic however a friend who already shoots kangaroo under permits here in VIC asked if there was any sort of TAFE diploma or certificate around pest animal control? He was interested in having a bit of paper to show perspective new property owners.

For example this is the deer management program in the UK:
        http://www.dmq.org.uk/

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by NewsteadVic" post=9100
          A little off topic however a friend who already shoots kangaroo under permits here in VIC asked if there was any sort of TAFE diploma or certificate around pest animal control? He was interested in having a bit of paper to show perspective new property owners.

For example this is the deer management program in the UK:
          http://www.dmq.org.uk/
          Yes there is.

Its part of being able to obtain a commercial harvester.

From memory its run by NSW tafe.
      Working...
      X