Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water systems

G'day fellas.
    I was browsing good ol fleebay and noticed a Coleman water heater for camping, just the thought of a hot shower while camping is mind blowing
    Just wondering if anyone uses them and if they are worth the money.

Cheers

I run a hot water converter under the bonnet of my 4WD. It's absolute gold during the winter when you're not brave enough to jump into a river or stream.

Comment

I have a old black water bladder. Holds about 10 Ltrs

Leave out in the sun and it will ge hot come time to use.

Mix 50/50 with cold water and you,ll have a warm shower. 20 Ltrs of water. Works for us on the boys weekend fishing trip between the 4 of us. Quick scub and rinse. ( wash off all that salt water ) etc. makes ya feel a bit fresher.

Can't get simple as that. but if she is not sunny its nit going to get very hot.

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda like this
        http://bit.ly/19nufSw

• Sambar Country
        Sambar Country commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=7915
        I have a old black water bladder. Holds about 10 Ltrs

Leave out in the sun and it will ge hot come time to use.

Mix 50/50 with cold water and you,ll have a warm shower. 20 Ltrs of water. Works for us on the boys weekend fishing trip between the 4 of us. Quick scub and rinse. ( wash off all that salt water ) etc. makes ya feel a bit fresher.

Can't get simple as that. but if she is not sunny its nit going to get very hot.
        Yep, that's what I've always used. Cost bugger all, get a few if you want a long shower. Amazing how hot they can get. Beats jumping into a cold alpine river.

Yeah i spotted the solar bags, Gets pretty cold and wet in Vic lol.
      Scratch that, the weather is dang awful sometimes.
      As for the 4wd method, sadly i don't own one.(working on it)

Cheers

Comment

Good stuff mate. Same price you could of had one under your bonnet to be honest and saved room. A mate has one of them Coleman's and they are great, especially if you are not the driver on a trip away at least it can come with you.

Enjoy.

Comment

We still use a solar shower bladder... our family has owned it for literally decades. Works great in summer. Have often looked at the Coleman heaters but each time decide the money is better spent elsewhere.

If all goes to plan I'll be setting up our camper trailer next year, and in time would like to add a diesel hot water/air heater, something like the Webastos fitted to Complete Campsite campers. Basically we want the same thing, without spending 40 grand!

Not particularly cheap (you're talking $2K-$3K) but they're super efficient compared to gas. Ducted heating into a camper trailer sounds a bit namby-pamby I admit, but we love fishing up the Western Lakes/Nineteen Lagoons area and even in summer it can get bitterly cold, and because it is a Conservation Area wood fires are not allowed. We figure it would be the best way to fish out the entire season without freezing your arse completely

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

never used a hot water system, last weekend i used my normal method. boil the billy (about 2l) tip the billy into a bucket of cold water (about 6l) then either run the 12V shower or just scoop and pour, soap, scoop and pour. even throw in one of these if your into that sort of thing

steve

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by 6602steven" post=11090
              never used a hot water system, last weekend i used my normal method. boil the billy (about 2l) tip the billy into a bucket of cold water (about 6l) then either run the 12V shower or just scoop and pour, soap, scoop and pour. even throw in one of these if your into that sort of thing

steve
              This is the way to go, I use my camp mug for the initial soak then soap up and pour what's left in the bucket over myself, usually a 4lt billy gives you 12lt of hot water.

The foam mats you get with holes are great too so you can clean up on one of them then step into ya thongs clean footed.

No one uses or knows the design for a old fashioned donkey style water heater? The last few shooting trips have been cold weather and frankly after 3 or 4 days you really start to feel manky.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• 17Hornet
              17Hornet commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Capn Dazza" post=12022
              No one uses or knows the design for a old fashioned donkey style water heater? The last few shooting trips have been cold weather and frankly after 3 or 4 days you really start to feel manky.
              http://photos.travelblog.org/Videos/15287/418376/10335.flv

Click image for larger version

Name:	DonkeyHW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	90448

Click image for larger version

Name:	donkey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	90449

yes i have 4 kids and it works great. run it straight from a river or garden hose and you dont have to use those little gas bottles just hook it up to your 9kg

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I always remember a mad wide eyed slobbering bitch we went camping with (the Reas property somewhere) spent about an hour getting ready for a wash one evening, we had stuff all water left and all needed either a drink or wash or cup of tea so she fills a big basin with hot water and got a towel ready and arranged the whole camp site just so she could wash her face, not everything, just her face, got her face near the bowl and went "argh-brrr-phhtt" into the water and then tipped it out on the ground!!!!!
              Nearly got it for that she did!

I used to run a small BBQ plate with heavy walled pipe welded to it, ends of the pipe were threaded to take brass barb tailed fittings with high temp hose
            clamped to them.

The other end of the hoses had brass garden clip-on fittings that connected to a small hot water tank [which fitted inside a milk crate for transporting]
            The milk crate was used as a stand for the tank.

One hose connected half way up on the tank, the other near the bottom.

Outlet was a short bit of pipe that protruded near the top, and the inlet on the top of the tank had a funnel with a pipe that ran almost to the bottom of the tank.

Fill the tank with water, heat from the bbq plate circulated the water to the tank.

Place bucket under the outlet, pour cold water into the funnel- cold water displaces hot water which flows out through the top outlet and into the bucket.

While the fire is running- make sure the water doesnt boil dry- as the hoses will melt!

It was dirt cheap to make- most of it was salvage or scrap.
            Next one I make [this one got "borrowed" from the back of the ute] will probably use a smallish stainless steel or galv. steel bin as the water tank as I have no idea where to find another water heater tank that fits inside a milk crate - and an open top bin for the tank makes it easier to stow the hoses and BBQ plate for transport.

stephen
            all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

if i'm going camping or to a different hunting place form the normal i just use the solar bag thing
              works ok better then freezing your balls off in a dam or creeks

but at the normal hunting where we have a little cabin setup
              we have been working on a solar hot water system for the roof

starts with a 200L tank with a small electric pump witch feeds up to a load of black PVC all over the roof in a grid that then comes to a copper coil that is raped around the chimney of the potbelly and then back out into the tank in summer about 4 hours without lighting the potbelly for a warm shower with the potbelly going water gets warm after an hour or so and gets hot around the 2-3 hour mark

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                All great replies guys.
                Just a note to those who might buy the Coleman unit, the collapsible bag they provide is useless i just use a water barrel.
                The battery lasts just over a week for 3 people 2-3 mins per day.

Cheers

I have converted the Coleman hot water on demand system to run of dual power 6volt/ 12 volts. I purchased a convertor of ebay that takes 12v to 6 volts, 7amp capable. Wired it in using a 3 way switch that allows you to switch between on-board battery and remote 12v power.

How it goes for those who would like to do it.

Remove the gas canister and then the gas canister backing plastic guard. As well as the cavity cover where the 12v charger lead goes.

Wiring diagram that I followed:

The original wire that runs to the 6volt battery needs to be redirected to the other side where the empty cavity was, as well as some more wire (twin core sheathed) run back to the original battery cavity. You can see where I have zip tied it up out the way.

Once this is done it is just a matter of wiring in the convertor, fuse, switch and plug for 12v attachment. It all fits neatly behind the spare cavity plate.

Then re fit all the plastic stuff and away you go, 6volt portable or 12v of the car.

I have used this for 2 weeks on Fraser Island bush camping at Ocean Lake, this worked really well.

SAFTEY NOTE: you can set the dial to your desired temp, and then just use the 3way switch to turn it off and on. So if you are storing it or transporting the unit the dial MUST be off otherwise if the switch is bumped to 6v position the unit will start.
              Hello.

Comment

or..........

you could be real blokey and build the ultimate hot water system

this is a miniature version, so just scale it up to suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDM9Eb16Do

stephen
                all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

• 17Hornet
                  17Hornet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by [email protected]" post=81966
                  or..........

you could be real blokey and build the ultimate hot water system

this is a miniature version, so just scale it up to suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDM9Eb16Do

stephen
                  LOL Stephen you are such a tool .
                  My kids have seen this and NOW its another project to do.
                  Been unwell for a few weeks now, whole family, change of season me thinks.

This guy is great, check out his other vids too.

Can just see this in a camp area, 6.00am wake up TEA call.
                  You could probably use it to keep the bears away in the USA/Canada.

For your new camp HWS I have a stainless 20L bucket you can have, old milk collection bucket from a dairy, includes lid, like a 20L straight side bucket and fits in a milk crate too!
                  When are you dropping over to collect it mate?? :P
              Working...
              X