Easter camping > a country persons perspective.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter camping > a country persons perspective.

This writer from another group has captured all that we so often see in our normally quiet environment.
    Wouldn`t swap it for Quids .
    NF.

🤷🏻‍♂️”i don’t get ppl who travel on Easter weekend....it’s like woohoo a whole extra 48 hours off 😱😱😱 let’s pack everything we own, 17 kids, the canoe, the bbq, pack enough food to feed the whole of a 3rd world nation for a month, the bikes, the dog, 18 fishing rods and Grandma in the 4 tonne LandCruiser we don’t know how to drive.... then we’ll leave early to beat the traffic, ermmmm 10 k out of town no... every other numpty with a BCF membership got the same idea 🙄 oh well nevermind nothing like 9 hours in a traffic jam with screaming bored kids fighting over the DVD player and mashing half chewed lollies on the carpet while singing “Let it Go!” out of tune for the 19th time...
    11.5 hours from home you’ve covered 43.6 kilometres and your cheese is about to slide off your cracker 😤 so you pull into a Service Centre packed with 9753 other equally mental fools, park sideways across 6 spots in the truck section coz you know the Toyota runs on diesel so it’s a ‘truck ‘ isn’t it??
    You all pile out of the big 4WD ignoring the cold stares from the guy trying to park his 80 foot bdouble for a regulation break, send the kids to line up at Maccas for 57 minutes then still have no fkn clue what they want by the time you reach the server 🤨.... it doesn’t matter what the stinking rugrats order anyway coz 11 minutes later the wrappers are floating across the carpark, the soft serve is on the leather seats and the 9 year old has pickles in her hair and is screaming ‘you’re a poo poo head!” at the 7 year old who refuses to sit forwards or put his seat belt on 👊🏻....
    25.8 hours after leaving home you reach the campsite a whole 103 ks away only to discover there’s no spots left within 17 kilometres of the beach or a toilet so you set up camp with the brown snakes 🐍 nowhere near the neighbors who promised to hold a spot for you 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️.....
    You spend the next day and a half listening to half pissed Shazza’s yelling “JAYDEN!!! Stop hitting your brother!!” and mumbling to your mates around the campfire about ‘serenity’ and ‘the good life’.... 🔥
    9am Monday you’re thinking prison food can’t be that bad surely??? If I just bury them deep enough nobody will find them??
    You say fuk this I’ll leave early and beat the traffic while visions of the 23 hour journey down here flash through your head 💭🤔
    So you pack the whole shebang back into the Pickle mobile along with the wet dog and sunburnt kids whining “weeeere hungreeeeeee!!!” , pull out onto the packed highway, find another Maccas to appease the brats. fill the ‘truck’ at $1.91 a litre and head the fuk home with the other 2.3 million WA nufftys thinkin abbq at home and a sleep in would have been a good idea!! 🚙💨💨💨💨 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

[center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

A country persons perspective...? Or is it just a 'curmudgeonly' finger being pointed?

Maybe you should look at it a different way?

Without those holiday crowds those service station's windows would be boarded up. The bloke in the bdouble would have to truck his thongs and 'Stubbie' wearin' fat arse to a reasonably bigger town to get a break from breathing in his own stale farts. A bigger place where Chiko Rolls have been off the menu for at least a decade, the cappuccino is $4.50 and made well. Instead of settling for his usual milky over heated cup of slop dished up by the local cynic who like 'the truckies' self entitled shitty attitude, is barely hanging onto the outside world... Existing in that usual little dust bowl.

The camp site still exists, so does the Servo and probably the pub. The outside world still exists, giving the place a reason to wake up and remind itself that a 'Private Idaho' isn't a Country or even country... It's an imaginary place in the mind and more often than not, is well removed from reality.

Instead of looking for the trashy. A mob of 9753 'townies' brings an injection credible cash and a quite a few pairs of 'tits'. Just saying... If I were to ride my 'ride-on mower' down to the 'Servo' to pick up a 'six pack', packet of 'darts' and Chiko roll.

There's always a flip side Dave and if most things in life seem like a shit sandwich.... Put some 'sprinkles' on it.

P.S. And FMD you got a 'like' from a bloke who owned a Servo in a sleepy little sea-side town that I'd say relied on holiday crowds.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

I f`n Knew it .
      Rather than try to compile my grammatically and linguistically poorly constructed reports for our local resident Farce Page whingers I put the perspective of some other writer up here for a bit of a .... well bait is to simplistic.....what I really wanted was an informed and expertly written reply to chuck back at the whingers we get around our small country town who post regularly after almost any holiday weekend.
      The subject is always the same moan and groan about rubbish left behind......Why don`t the local shire < council ii SA > DO something etc.
      I got it back in Spades Thanks HERNE you are a wizard with words.
      Now I have both the for and against well written to dump on the whingers if I so desire.

Would I be a C>oun>t and do a thing like that ? .....Who MEEEEeeeee. ?.
      Probably not but it makes a good story to debate if some one gets serious enough.

The benefits really do out weigh the minor inconvenience of tourist bad habits with their rubbish.

For the record HERNE you are quite correct but try telling that to the whingers.
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Get on that page Dave. Smash the bugger with good rhetoric and reasoning... Who knows you will probably have it whining all the way through to ANZAC Day trying to justify being a bloody misery guts.

You can even quote me by copy and pasting my reply here... Those sort of 'Rex Hunts' are an axe-wound that needs a little salt rubbed in it.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

LOL OK Next topic fresh off the block ....or is that left on the track ?.

People who let their dogs shit in public spaces even walking tracks and the local Dog Park.
          So far I have avoided that one but it gets people wound up like nothing else.

The funny <to me> part is I know most of these people by sight and some personally ....
          A source of amusement ..... but watch where you tread.

It looks like dog shit.
          It smells like dog shit.
          It tastes like dog shit.
          Thank Christ you didn`t step in it ....

H/t Cheech and Chong up in smoke.
          [center]

Comment

My dog ate my stash Maaaan...!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhzgY-EadHA

The trick is to run your dog past the 'whingers' place and let it off the lead a little ways before to take a timely shit on their lawn... There would be a years worth of community Facebook action right there.

Dogs don't give a shit, maybe get a little self-conscious if you watch... But then watching is admission that you know what's going on.

Comment

I was lucky enough to grow up in Sydney suburbs before it went bad with crowds and agree with Ferals camping post.

We could go to some of the hidden gems up and down the coast for a long weekend without problems.
              The best places were free or a $5 a night honesty system payment although they often did a collection run-through in the mornings in holiday times.
              At the Basin, I think it was you could also buy ice when paying, nice as it was boat camping.

I lived in a nice top-floor unit at Mortdale for over 10 years for $55 a week, was $50 till the last few years, and had a garage and all we needed back then.
              Worked in Alexandria and could drive or train it within 1/2hr

One year I said I know of a great spot we could go see the NYE fireworks.
              On the spot decision and it was free and could drive right up and park to watch from the car.
              Took a six-pack as you could still drive if sensible back before RBT.
              The spot was Mrs Maquaries Chair which would be the most prime $50 ticket no cars place today.
              The last time I snuck down was maybe 15 years back and the cops let me sneak into the Greenwich boat ramp as I was on a bike so no real parking issues.

The great camping trips sorta stopped when one year, we thought a last-minute trip to Caves beach near Jarvis Bay would be great.
              Seems it got discovered through word of mouth, was like a tent city with streets of big tents wall to wall, all with generators and noise.
              Was OK in a hiker tent as we could camp near a picnic table but had to let another couple share at dinner time.
              Was another young couple, Greek or Italian and I even tried some wog food when the missus assured me it was just stuff like zucchini fried up in the pan LOL.

Never went back though and I still hide at home on long weekends as the local Hwy can chock up.

Comment

People en masse are fun, frustrating and lost in individual moments all at the same time. You just gotta have some patience, remember you is one... And enjoy the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyTY_oYR_c

I find myself out of town 2 weekends out of 3 and like yerself 'magoo' stick around home on long weekends. But have enjoyed a Chiko Roll or ice cream parked up watching the rest of the holiday crowd lose their shit at a servo half way between nowhere and never never land on more than a few occasions when the kids where younger... Real life TV of episodes of 'Dads in Distress'.

It's no different to watching Test Cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_77EvoXGDB8

Comment

And they went through that and had the best weekend away from the city since Covid hit!

As often as I can, I pack up my city kids and my self, travel 4 and half hours pulling a trailer to spend 5 days to a week camping in red dust and sheep poo in an old machine shed on my dads old farm.

My 17 year old recons just the prospect of going bush, helps him deal with the pressures of his last years of High school.

There's something about having to pumping water from a hole in the ground and burning half a tree a night, washing dishes by hand, and being able to hear a car on the road 2 km away that is missing from our City lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
                    My 17 year old recons just the prospect of going bush, helps him deal with the pressures of his last years of High school...
                    Best advise him he'd better have that 'go to' bag ready every weekend then... High School in hindsight is a 'cake' in comparison to what's to follow.

Comment

Working...
                    X