Clear All

• Two wheel camping

So I picked up a new DRZ400E this week
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210908_165546.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	323391
    and am now into the planning/research stages of getting the bore bike set up for quick weekends away light weight camping to start off with and then longer trips as I get my shit sorted.
    To start off with I plan to cache the swag, water, extra fuel, bbq plate ect during the week as I am driving around checking waters and only carry the bare minimum with me on the bike ie a bit of tucker in a 6 pack esky and any essentials I can fit into a backpack.

The bike is basically bog standard except for a couple of fans fitted to the radiator, one of the first things I am planning is a rear rack to hold the tucker box

Name:	suzuki-drz400-carry-rack-2018-1.gif
Views:	160
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	323390As I find and get more light weight camping stuff ie tent sleeping mat and sleeping bag ect, the next challenge will be buying a bag to attach to the fuel tank and saddle bags to fit everything into and onto the bike,
    I am not in any rush to get kitted out fully and head off for a round OZ trip or anything but will be taking my time shifting from 4 wheeled vehicle based camping to 2 wheels
    Stand by for updates
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

I will add that this thread is about camping not so much about the bike
    any suggestions for camping gear appreciated

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

I thought things were meant to be getting better looking and streamline as the world develops... Then they come up with a blue 'bike doona'.

Good stuff mate. Take it easy and make base camp or 'Tambi'. The calibre is a little lightweight for too long a trips. But I'm sure some will find a fight in that somewhere... Road trains love kents on 'Nang Nang Mobiles'.
      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Your bike looks like a bit of good gear "Fish" get out there & enjoy it as I am sure you will.
        Cheers
        Faster Horses
        Younger Women
        Older Whiskey
        More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

Fascinating concept mate!

For gear, you may need to take a lead out of the ultra-light backpacking mob for concepts and ideas.

I find some of them a bit too extreme with their weight saving, but some of the good ideas I adopt myself.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Forward!
          Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

They do look odd, but practical to get a bit of fuel in and keep the weight lower than the big high tanks we used.
            If that's the idea.

I wonder if the chookies have enough frame to mount a decent rack to fit a gearsack setup.
            They are like having a bike with a boot.
            Carry capacity goes from about a can of beer to a case or more.
            Will wheely easy though.

My bike sure did look hot, but the only compartment would hold about a poppa juice and it went about 120km till the fuel light came on.
            Not that you would want to sit on the rock-hard little race seat for any longer.

Comment

The standard tank is 10L but Safari Tanks do a 17L and a 28L, the 17L tank seems to be popular with the YouTube crowd but I do know of a few bikes on stations that run the 28L tanks but then again those blokes need a 6 pack and a cut lunch just to duck out to the mail box
              as funding becomes available via the minister for war and finance, I will get the 17L tank which should give me approximately 400Km range depending on the load carried

The Minister for War and Finance is a bit of a boffin when I comes to light weight camping/travelling, being a backpacker she is quite the expert at packing a backpack with everything including the kitchen sink.
              but like I said earlier, I have the luxury of being able to set up camp Fridays/ Saturday's while at work and then heading out Saturday after I knock off, enjoy a bit of solitude, then destroy the serenity Sunday morning before heading home and coming back Monday to load my stuff onto the Toyota.

For those that don't know my back yard is a mixture of open black soil paddocks, Brigalow/ mulga scrub, sandy pine forests and rocky mountains with a handful of creeks and rivers which are usually dry unless the big boss above is feeling generous and then they transform into raging torrents which gives me enough choices to gain experience in both riding the bike and working out my camping/travelling needs for the next 12 months while waiting to get my P's before heading out onto public roads, even then there are a couple of towns within 100 to 150km via gravel or back roads to ride to have dinner and book a room at the pub, breakfast in the morning before heading home

it will give the wife and me something else to do on Sundays out here beyond the black stump

Comment

Maybe a lite weight removable pannier system might be a good purchase ‘fish’. Same with a front basket and rifle scabbard... Might extend those romantic nights under the Southern Cross a little more.
                "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Wait till you hit the fine deep sand.
                  Better still, avoid it till you are confident enough to use the power to slide a bit.

The only way the front wheel won't wash out in the shit is to power through taking all weight off the front.
                  I hated it and so close to flying over the bars that I don't know how it never happened.

Was a heavy bike as well, XT 600 that came with the gear sack that never looked back.
                  It faded to a light brown on the next bike, a VTR 1000 but sure made riding to work, shops, beach easy, chucking shit in the boot bag.
                  Can also lock it with a padlock and park, good for the helmet and gloves.

The VTR came with the colour matched leather tank cover and fancy extendable tank bag so you could just about go camping or touring but had to sit upright rather than laying on the tank so I didn't clip the bag on unless really needed, also had a clear top section for maps or the GPS on top.

Comment

• several
                    several
                    Paid Member
                    several commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I remember riding the old 600 belgarda, they were a good bike but I think 180kg dry and pretty top heavy, it was a workout in the bush. I preferred the XR 400 as my weapon of choice.

Name:	6ad662c692c3a23d2d9096221a43a8ee.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	323409

FMD... That's not a short haired Border Collie out front is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post

Name:	6ad662c692c3a23d2d9096221a43a8ee.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	323409

FMD... That's not a short haired Border Collie out front is it?
                    that"s gotta be a kiwi shot......pd

Comment

Originally posted by pd View Post

that"s gotta be a kiwi shot......pd
                      All that Saltbush... I'd say Ol' mate waltzes around western NSW and has grabbed his 'Jolly Jumbuck' for some practice.

Comment

Check out a YouTube channel called Biker Bits. He does a lot of gear reviews for bike camping and runs a lot of camping rides

Comment

I have had a look at his videos thanks for the tip

Comment

Re the fuel tank capacity. Have you heard of the technique of filling it with boiling water to 1/2-3/4 capacity and then using a hand/foot pump and air hose fitted to the overflow outlet and very gently pumping air into it so it expands? Of course gently gently is the fashion and not to much expansion at a time, do this a few times and your tank pretty much double in capacity.
                            I know a couple blokes who did this with the wr400 which I think is 12lt standard and they got about 22lt capacity with applications of the hot water and air. And they don’t look any sillier than the big long range tanks when it’s all done.
                            Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Working...
                            X