The BIG TRIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah sorry boys, it's been a while and a lot has changed. The drawers were pretty shit to be honest but I had to build them and give them a crack to convince myself. They all worked alright and created heaps of storage but there was just no where to put "stuff" like even just groceries or a carton of beer, everything needed a draw to be opened, and from a work perspective it was worse, I had to open a drawer for every thing and had no area to carry materials.

So they got the ARSE.

Ive reverted to my flat bed in the back of the cruiser, so fits a queen mattress, with 2 x 1800mm drawers underneath. Then came plan B, totally out of the blue we bought this wonder of modern tech....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4976.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	310964

I pulled the tool box off and sold it, put our fridge slide and 80l Engel in its place on the draw bar and we headed off.

I cautioned the bride that this thing was gonna suck, but a bit like my old drawers she wanted to find out herself....and so she did.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	310963

It was about midday at Cangai by the time we sat down and cast eyes upon this beauty, 45 minutes and two beers to set up. She turned to me and said "how do we fix this" haha!

We enjoyed the weekend then headed home and banged the tent section onto Gumtree, it sold the next day and we recouped half of our outlay, we kept the trailer and the modifications continue.

Next I'll show you the Darche 270 awning and it's pop up strut system of debauchery, still a work in progress but it works so far.

Comment

I wanted an awning system on the trailer the Darche 270 is the best thing I could find on the market but designed to fit onto the roof racks of a 4wd wagon. It needs to be set up above head height obviously but the trailer isn't that high and I didn't want it to be so I had to knock up a "pop up" system and this is what I came up with.

These are the bare bones so you can see whats going on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5634.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	311954

Again with the awning fitted in the "travelling" position.

Name:	IMG_5635.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	311955

and here in the "parked" postion ready to open up.

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	311956
      and opened up!

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	311957

Since then I have fitted a 12v switch panel with lighter and dual USB outlets and a voltmeter, I switched the pressure pump and installed a filter system and tap, a led light bar under the awning frame and a pair of light bars under the lid of the trailer that also double as interior camp lights. Made a form ply wooden kitchen bench that stows away in the trailer.

Name:	IMG_5906.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	311958

Comment

So we took it for a test run and wore the dog out.

Name:	IMG_5948.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	311960

to an old stomping ground that now has water after so bloody long....

Name:	IMG_5914.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	311961

Still some more work to go, but I'm pretty happy that so far all of the projects involved have held their own, the fridge battery and recharging system, the solar set up, the 12v trailer lighting and water pump and the pop up awning.

Name:	IMG_5961.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	311962

Its so good to see the bush coming back so well after all of the fires then the flooding,

ol nature ...she knows what she's doing hey.

Twas a short trip but well worth it and we will be back soon.

Comment

Had another hit out this weekend a bit closer to home but an old stomping ground from way back. Opposite the 270 awning I trialled a 2500mm Kings awning to go out over the trailer for when the weather turns to shit. The set up again worked really well and goes up very quickly, just a few mods and "gaps" to fill and we will be sweet. With all the shelter 12v and cooking side pretty much sorted I might turn my hand to upgrading the suspension. If I can calculate and buy the steel before our "big lockdown" I'll build a coil sprung independent system. Should be fun...

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	312451

Comment

With the trailer foundation kinda set we will need a few more trips to make changes to figure what does and doesn't work and tweak what we like or seems to already work.
            Ive turned my hand towards the Cruiser, it's about to hit 200k now and I want he ship shape for the trip. All the normal servicing shit gets done, oil changes brakes etc but last pink slip old mate told me I had to replace the rear spring shackles.
            I'm like "stiff shit" easy job couple hundred bux and knock it over in an arvo of beers and grease.....I rang around a few shops and googled a few shops and was right $200 would pull it up, but in the search i saw rear leaf springs on special. Bugger may as well do them while I am at it and it's like another $500 or so... depending on what you get. Bugga it I'll do springs be crazy not to really, but what about shocks? cant replace springs, shackles bushes and not do the shocks, so now I am at $1,000 FFS!!!!

More phone calls more google and I am getting the shits, cause you cant do the whole rear end and NOT THE FRIGGIN FRONT!

I set myself on finding the best new suspension kit I can afford because its cheaper to buy a kit than all the bits, I spend a LOT of time on this, talk to lots of people between here and Fraser Island and watch hours and hours of video.

I decide on smart coils for the front and rear parabolic springs, both are a tapered spring that offer a progressive spring rate. I also want remote res shocks but cant afford them yet, the will be either TJM Pace or OME BP-51 at the recommended retail it may be I stay with the kit shocks but thats for later.

So my kit arrives, I have ordered it allowing a 2" lift cause why leave it standard? The first Saturday I get on tools and it takes almost 5 hours to remove the first rear leaf spring, I am in a world of hurt but also really glad I am not paying someone $140 an hour to do this shit, the front shackle bolts have rusted into the bushes and can only be cut off. It's the same on the other side each cut off with a combination of recipro and angle grinder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	314820

The days done and I have the rear springs fitted but the left side is an inch higher than the right, I check all the bolts etc and take it for a drive but no cigar. I have a long range tank and its full so I empty the tools out and the rear drawers. No change. Now I am at a loss, I call the retailer, get the distributors number in Sydney, get hand-balled to Melbourne we all know the story....I get to the "manufacturer" he says no sweat swap left to right rear springs then call me.
            There goes another half a day in grease.
            Got it done and call him back, I say it's more level but sagging in the arse still! Supposed to be a 2" lift? He fixes everything and calls the retailer, sends me the 500-700kg parabolics

I fit them and the crowd goes mad, JOB'S DONE!!

..you got the shortened version, here is how she sits now. Now we are ready for stage 2.

Name:	IMG_6336.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	314824

Attached Files

Comment

• Sparta
              Sparta commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet as Dan, good job. Nice Cruiser by the way.

• pd
              pd commented
              Editing a comment
              a bit like trying to eat just one mintie,impossible ,once you start tis hard to stop...pd..

Faaark me! Three innings to put 50 runs on the board.

$140 an hour. Not missing you up that way eh?

There’s a case gone... Over that lot.
            "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Tough Dog do good value shocks to control that gear and lift.
              Some of the kits save costs with the shocks and won't be any better than factory stuff, some fail.

Remote res gets exy and I went for adjustable as I didn't want to lose all the ride quality.
              I run them on the second softest click and they are OK.
              They do King springs in their kits so it's more Aussie than most and cheaper as well.
              They do a bigger body beefy shock for the cruisers and Patrols in adjustable for not much more cost than non-adjustable.

I was going to get a set for the rear and rebuild a set of stock leafs, flipping the lower load leaf for added lift.
              Covid stopped me picking up a near new set to save off-road time doing the whole job.
              Parabolics are the other chioce of springs as I don't want the rear to ride like a rock and don't really carry much weight.

Should have finished it before putting a deposit on another rifle but the ute sits near level and no rear sag so no rush.
              Should start gumtreeing again for someone that upgraded their new BT.

Comment

Magoo, the parabolics and smart springs have made a massive improvement to the drive, even with the 500-700 rears she doesn't ride hard, kicks a bit if you hit a speed hump to fast but the general handling is much better, theres a slight body roll then it locks in. The Jury is still out on remote res for me as I can imagine it getting much better than it is.

Comment

Good that the parabolics work well for you and it looks to sit well and will go places with confidence.

Suspension is always a bit of a compromise and most rear aftermarket springs would wreck my half-decent ride.
                  I sold my boat and the way I see it, if I tow something or load it up once in a blue moon, it will still handle it better than stock.
                  The parabolics will prob be the go for me if the modded stockers are not as good as blokes are saying.

I thought my Tough Dogs went bad after settling in, but found I had adjusted them to the second firmest setting rather than the second softest.
                  Went a few weeks and took it bush, sat flat as a rock but it rides so well on the soft setting and corners fine.
                  Just a touch of roll when pushing it a bit.

Comment

OK next bit was the exhaust, I got the call this morning picked it up after 2 and she was on by dark. My god it sounds awesome reminds me of dads V8 when I was a wee tacker. Plus a 10% kick in KW and a 20% hike in torque and you can feel it but the best part is the note. Torqit are on the money.

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	315152

Name:	IMG_6395.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	315153

To say I am totally stoked with this just doesn't cut it, test run it all on the weekend and we have taken Friday to make the most of it.

Comment

Looks good Dan, I bet she sounds awesome.
                      Are those BFG tyres?
                      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Hey Sparta yeah the tires are BFG KO's 285/75R16 cant get them any more which is a shame, next set will either be KO2 or maybe Coopers dunno yet.

Comment

Yeah I thought they were I could tell the tread pattern.
                          mate I had the ko's on my ute they were good but just as the change over was happening I picked up a 20mm wood chisel in one of the tyres.
                          but they couldn't get another k0 they were probably half way.
                          so I sold the remaining 3 and bought the ko2 set
                          there a great tyre I'm on my second set now. A tiny bit more noisy I got 80,000 out of the first set.
                          but that also did 8 trips to burke where the roads there are unforgiving.
                          I rate them mate very good tyre. Grab well on and off road.
                          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Working...
                          X