Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bivvy's V Swag's

Hi guys,

Just after a bit of feedback on those using bivvy's or swags. In the past, I have used a swag but was thinking about trying a bivvy. I guess the main difference is the weight, and both are easily setup/packed. I'd be interested in your feedback.

Rob.

Just thinking logically here (I'm a tent guy, no real experience with either option), but the decision would come down primarily to whether you're hiking or not. A swag is too heavy and bulky to walk 5-20km with... but if you only want to crash next to your car, I can't see why you'd forgo so much comfort and use a bivvy instead?

You'd have to think a swag would be more convenient to set up too... integrated mattress versus having a separate ground mat/Thermarest to contend with.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a bivvy in stormy and windy conditions as it can be zipped up water tight but I can still breathe via the goretex.

if you are staying in area that is going to be very cold and wet the bivvy bag is the best way to go i have a full gore tex which has seen alot of bush time here in southern states as well up nth around darwin.
    i seen blokes get up in the morning soaked from the rain me nice and dry and warm beening my bivvy bag

swag is good if staying in one spot of a period of time and comfort but have a had a isuse with rain getting through the zip flap and having to sleep in my bivvy bag they csan get real hot to sleep in but good for keeping mozzie's and midge's out

make sure that you get a good insect screen on either of them as it will save you from having a bad night sleep

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Comparing the two comfort-wise, I have seen decent sleeping mats to suit the bivvy's at 4cm thick so comfort shouldn't be an issue. I also like the idea of fully waterproof. How are the bivvy's in warmer weather?

Comment

Originally posted by shooter3975" post=17826
        Hi guys,

Just after a bit of feedback on those using bivvy's or swags. In the past, I have used a swag but was thinking about trying a bivvy. I guess the main difference is the weight, and both are easily setup/packed. I'd be interested in your feedback.

Rob.
        My advice would be get a good dome swag, like a southern cross or a Burke and wills, I would only recommend a bivvy if your camping destination is not vehicle accessible and you have to hike a fair distance to get there, I mean why sacrifice comfort unless you have no other option?

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          I vote for bivvy. More portable, more water tight, more creepy crawly proof, warmer, more breathable.

Do you hit the hoof or go car based?

Personally I'm with Headwerkin, always use a tent but in the past have used bivvy bags and swags; i prefer the bivvy. Pointless using my -10 rated alpine sleeping bag in a swag as the weight of the canvas compresses the 'loft' of the down.

To each their own, though. My brother loves his swag.

Hey shooter.
        My experience is with bivy site love that they are so light waterproof and comfortable. I took mine back country skiing up koziosko last winter and it was great. Despite having a blizzard one night and getting buried. I use a down filled inflatable mattress that is 9 cm thick from memory super comfy. And great insulation from the snow your sleeping on. I also sleep in it when I go on climbing trips around qld. It can get a little hot if you take big thick sleeping bags so I have ended up with a fair few to suit different conditions.

I would not recomend beach camping in them unless you want sand everywhere!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-10-21.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	33629

Comment

• shooter3975
          shooter3975 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Kmus" post=18269
          Hey shooter.
          My experience is with bivy site love that they are so light waterproof and comfortable. I took mine back country skiing up koziosko last winter and it was great. Despite having a blizzard one night and getting buried. I use a down filled inflatable mattress that is 9 cm thick from memory super comfy. And great insulation from the snow your sleeping on. I also sleep in it when I go on climbing trips around qld. It can get a little hot if you take big thick sleeping bags so I have ended up with a fair few to suit different conditions.

I would not recomend beach camping in them unless you want sand everywhere!

That is extreme... No wonder you have a 9cm thick down filled mattress. Thanks for the input.
          Attached Files
      Working...
      X