Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for decent, affordable 4WD spotlights

Hi all,

My Zooki came with a pair of halogen spotlights (1 beam, 1 spread) already fitted and while small and cheap looking, they certainly were a welcome help on the wallaby-filled roads that surround where I live.

Unfortunately one was killed on the weekend by a flung stone cracking the lens enough to oxidise the filament, so I need to start looking at replacements.

As much as I'd love to put $700 worth of fancy HIDs up there to evaporate roadside fauna (!) my realistic budget is more around $200-$300 right now. Ideally I'd like something that's:

1. Got solid build quality... I actually do a fair bit of offroading.
    2. A reasonably well known brand, rather than some no-name Chinese knock of
    3. Can be effectively upgraded to HID bulbs later on at a reasonable price, and
    4. Comes with strong polycarbonate covers so I don't have to replace them again!

Any suggestions as to what to get?

Cheers, Ben.

Not a fan of HID for driving or spoting........But

I use Chinese LED light's. Spotter's (36 wat ) and work light's ( 18 watt spreed )on my roo rig ( as my old Halogen's were killing battery's like all buggery.

Good for highway driving 36 spotter's x 2 nice spot for up ahead and light's up the edge's vey well Better then my Light force 240 blit's ( Been using them for over 1 year now ) No issue's and no dead battery's.

The 240 blitz how ever has a better spot ( But hey i dont need to know what's 1 km up the road ) I want to know what's around me and in from a few hundred yard's.

My 2 bob worth there mate.

Oh and all mine and my wife's car $300 for the lot and a few hour's of my time

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=4651
      The 240 blitz how ever has a better spot ( But hey i dont need to know what's 1 km up the road ) I want to know what's around me and in from a few hundred yard's.
      The Beauty of the old lightforce and knock offs as far as I'm concerned is the ability to focus them anywhere from a spot to a flood. If the beam is to tight just adjust it to produce more spread to suit the driving your doing at the time..

Got a link mate? I had a quick search on eBay but everything that came up looked like a low output work light rather than a spottie.

I plan on putting an LED lightbar up on the roof once I sort out a rack, but would prefer a pair of traditional spotlights for the bullbar.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I went from halogen lightforces to HID's and would never go back. mainly as I like to see everything from the bullbar out to a few hundred meters. I tried a lightbar and ended up putting it in the shed as a worklight as they just dont throw enough light for me. Just a personal thing in the end as my eyes wont be the same as yours, kind of like scopes in the end. each to their own.
      Narva makes a good HID spotty for a reasonable price but I decided to spend a bit more on lightforce.

Nightstalker 170s are my pick for budget spotties. Been fully under water multiple times and have coped a flogging on the couple of cars I've had them on over the years. Cost me about $130 and are still going and have out shone all the other brands I've tried except the 240 lightforce I've got on the tray. I wish I didn't weld a handle on to one to make a handheld light so I could replace the ipf lights on the current car. Also I hate spread beam spotlights I find them utterly useless spot/spot combo is the only way to light up the tracks and highway for me.

Comment

Anyone had and experience with this style of LED spotlight?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Rydge-Rider-LED-Driving-Lamp-51-Watts-17-LED.aspx?pid=321390#tab-Reviews

Comment

I use and highly recommend lightforce XGTs, but like Comanche said, the nitestalker 170s are great lights for the price.

Comment

I threw a pair of supercheap auto "eclipse" driving lights on as a quick fix. Not brilliant but far better than I expected for $50. I got the 55W set but they do a 100W set for about $66.
          I don't expect them to survive a submersion but I recon I'll be trying a 100w set on the roof bar before I start laying out a couple of hundred dollars.

Comment

Another vote for LF 240 XGT's. I've had a pair for 6+ years and converted mine to HID.

They're now on a second (and about to be transferred to a third) vehicle and are going strong, even after this:

The right hand side spottie took a direct hit from a large animal strike that wrote off the truck. I took them off, wired them up to the replacement rig and away they went!

Comment

• bigbear
              bigbear commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy shit, thought the only way to kill a Disco was failing to patch the constant oil leaking

I have a set of Hella Rallye 4000's with 55w HID conversion.

These are a spread/spot combo and unlike the lightforce spotties are designed for driving.

The combo provides very good vision to about 1000 yards (tested on the 1000 yard mound at the range :0 )

There is no need to aim either light to the side, they are both aimed down the centre of the road, the spread beam is so wide that it easily cover both sides of the road while the pencil reaches out to the 1000 yard mark.

Lightforce make awesome SPOTLIGHTS they are less than ideal as DRVING lights IMO, the Hellas are worth the coin and provide better light where its needed without being ridiculously big ie thief magnet...........

If you cant afford HID at least buy halogen hella's, you can always upgrade to HID later.....

Comment

I run these on the BT-50 - not a bad light for the $$ - can be adjusted with one turn from pencil to spread, absolutely everything on the light can be replaced which is handy in the event of damage/wear N tear.

http://fyrlyt.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XIE3duKGQ
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inferno-4x4-Outdoor/248691898532154

JH

Comment

Here's a bit of a comparison of some of the lights on the market

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/pages/4WD%20161%20LR2.pdf
                  Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Light bars are not desiogned for long throw. They are best used for fill between the front of the vehcile and where the spotlights effectively "start" on the road (awkward to describe but you probbaly know what I'm getting at) and ESPECIALLY to the side. Peripheral vision is much more important than knowing whats 2kms down the road. It's the verges from where the grasshoppers will attack you....

I picked up a set of FYRLYT spotties (in my opinion a much superior light design to the lightforces etc) for $500 so I;m happy with that !

I'm not a big fan of HID lights, my experience has beeen (most especially with the after market kits, but factory lights are not immune) is a comparatively high bulb failure rate. So carry spares. At least the newer generation ones have largely addressed the old issues of 'warm up' time. They are much better in that respect nowadays. The factory ones at least.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Varminator" post=43791

Great article Varminator!
                    Id like to go HID but man they are out of my price range as well
                    Unless I just get one??

Do some of you guys just run 1 light & not 2??
                    Would you be better off with 2 X 100W halogens opposed to 1 X HID??

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Varminator" post=43791

Cant afford it atm but the Narva halogens in this article are on special at BCF until Sept 7th if anyone is interested?

$100 off normal price.

They rate pretty good & look like value??

If you're in Brissie you can check out my rig and I can point u in the direction of a good installer who does great rates..
                  Agreed with previous post that we rarely use spotties/lightbar on the bullbar for spotlighting.. Much better results driving around with Parklights on and handheld only on the tray at the back

Comment

I used to run 4 cheap rectangle SCA spotties on my old ute, they did the job and a lot better than headlights.
                    My Cruiser currently has a set of ancient Hellas that were probably fitted not long after it rolled out of the showroom, which are ok but not brilliant. I have a new bar coming so will stick some new lights in that.
                    Also have a 40" light bar on the roof when I go away, im scared of the dark

Comment

No you legally cannot run just one driving light.

ADR's stipulate driving lights and headlights be ran in pairs.

I notice lots of cars running around with lightbars. I wonder how the ADR's apply to lighbars???

Comment

• plinkingmad
                        plinkingmad commented
                        Editing a comment
                        they were made illegal to start with ONE light rule but now the ADR rules have been changed to allow light bars as well as accessory lights and there heights IE roof mounted led bars
                        check your state rules Qld is ok Im told by most retailers
                    Working...
                    X