What tyres are you running on your 4wd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tyres are you running on your 4wd?

I'm going to need new tyres on my Mazda Bravo dual cab and would be interested to hear what people are using and are happy with.....or not

my usage is 90% city and freeway driving and 10% farm and forest tracks, no sand or mud, the suspension is standard and i'm not carrying loads of tools or heavy gear at the current point of time. currently fitted with Dick Cepic F-C II 31X10.5X15", I'm happy with them but they were on the vehicle when i bought it and they are too pricey for my tastes

i've looked at a couple of brands like Kuhmo road venture AT at $185, maxxis AT700 at $235

thanks in advance, steve

BFGs
    Why - well I got about 120,000 km out of the last lot.
    Similar usage.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      what model mate? AT T/A KO's or the rugged terrains?

steve

Yokohama Geolanders. Great tyre on road and in the bush. 80 000 ish ks. I'd never go back to BF Goodrich.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

ATs
      Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

I went with the Yokohama Geolanders.
        Like most urban cowboys most of my miles are on tar and I wanted something that would handle in the wet. Naturally I also want it to perform in mud but there is no such animal.

The Yokos are a 70/30 tyre and they are pretty good off road. Soft sidewalls so they wrap around rocks but you have to keep an eye out for anything that will puncture the sidewall. They are quiet on road too.

I don't know how they will last but I don't care. I will always opt for a softer compound tyre. When I want to stop I want to stop and if the tyres destroy themselves in the process, so be it.

Comment

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Snag" post=987
          I went with the Yokohama Geolanders.
          Like most urban cowboys most of my miles are on tar and I wanted something that would handle in the wet. Naturally I also want it to perform in mud but there is no such animal.

The Yokos are a 70/30 tyre and they are pretty good off road. Soft sidewalls so they wrap around rocks but you have to keep an eye out for anything that will puncture the sidewall. They are quiet on road too.

I don't know how they will last but I don't care. I will always opt for a softer compound tyre. When I want to stop I want to stop and if the tyres destroy themselves in the process, so be it.
          Yes the Yokohamas are the best 4x4 tyre I've come across for stopping on wet tar.
          At the other end of the spectrum if you want a bullet proof off road tyre, you can't go past the Goodyear Wrangler MTR.
          They handle surprisingly well on the road for a hardcore 4x4 tyre, fairly quiet for a knobbly and your probably looking at 40-60 000 ks if your lucky.

Thanks I have had that in mind. I.was under the understanding that the LT models were without those "issues"

Steve

Comment

I am running 32" Pro Comp Extreme Mud terrains as my everyday tyre and a set of 33" Maxxis mudzillas when I know I am going to get muddy in the bush.
          Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            BFG All Terrains - boring, standard but the things just work well for just about everything

Pizza cutters with solid rubber.

Attached Files

Comment

Maxxis 751... Had 4 sets over 3 different vehicals in 10 years... Never had a problem on the road or in the bush... I finally got a flat in one yesterday and with all the bush driving I do (I cut timber for a living) it proves how good these tyres are...
            I do at least 50,000k's a year and the 751's last at least 2-3 years before they hit the wear blocks... That is provided the suspension and wheel alignment is good...
            The bloke at my local tyre company hates 751's... He recons they are to cheap, dont get enough punchures and last to long... I shoot with him and he normally tries to put people on to another brand before selling them, but he knew there was no point trying to put me off them as I have had a few sets of them...

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              thats interesting luke, my local tyre bloke recomended the A-T 700 bravo's. he said it's what he uses and apart from the new A-T 980 they're looking like a serious contender

steve

• Savage
              Savage commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Luke H" post=1054
              Maxxis 751... Had 4 sets over 3 different vehicals in 10 years... Never had a problem on the road or in the bush... I finally got a flat in one yesterday and with all the bush driving I do (I cut timber for a living) it proves how good these tyres are...
              I do at least 50,000k's a year and the 751's last at least 2-3 years before they hit the wear blocks... That is provided the suspension and wheel alignment is good...
              The bloke at my local tyre company hates 751's... He recons they are to cheap, dont get enough punchures and last to long... I shoot with him and he normally tries to put people on to another brand before selling them, but he knew there was no point trying to put me off them as I have had a few sets of them...
              I have tried a few different brands and have settlled on these as well, I only run A/T but am seldom let down, I also carry chains though so am not stressed by mud. I just can't believe more people don't carry chains.

My biggest issue is tyre damage cutting wood and spotlighting-the dearer tyres are no better, the last time the 751's were on special at Bob Jane I bought six at $170 each fitted

• shooter65
              shooter65 commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 For the Maxxis 751 for road and light track work, I run them on my Patrol wagon and find them great, I also run Maxxis 762 Bighorn on my Patrol ute for on the properties.

I have Bridgestone Desert Duelers on the Jeep, can't complain they have been quite good.
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

BFG AT T/A KOs on my Pathfinder and happy with them.

Comment

My last 3 sets of tyres were all BFG M/T
                These days I really don't get out as much, but being due for a new set I reckon I'll stick to em.
                Like they say :when you're on to good thing,stick to it"
                I figure even though they might only go off road 10% of there life, it's no fun if they don't hold up on that 10% that you rely on.
                Saying this, they no longer have the KM1 as option, anyone have any experience with the KM2's ?
                cheers

Comment

• Pody
                  Pody commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm running the KM-2's at the moment their not a bad tyre so far great in the ruff stuff so far and at $80 to $100 cheaper per tyre is even better! I was going to go with the Cooper STT again but their too noisey I had the ST's before them and they were great I did 120k on them and did the Cape with them at 60% tread and not one flat!
                  But when looking for a new set I was shocked to see that they had gone up $50 a Tyre so $425 a Tyre isn't cheap so I shopped around and found the KM2's for $320 each like I said so far they seem to be going ok not as noisey as the STT's and just as grippy in the muddy stuff.

I'm running Bridgestone Desert Duelers on mine 694's and have the latest set of 697's A/T LT waiting to be put on once this lot wear out, so far I have 80,000k on them and they look like they have around another 10-20k or so in them. Very good tyre on the road and do everything I need em to do in the paddock so happy to stick with them.

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• fishphillott
                  fishphillott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On my ranger running Wrangler AT my driving is 75% scrub 25% blacktop I do about 60000km a year they have been good to me

• Pitty
                  Pitty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cooper Gt3's

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	20912

Mark

I had a good run out of my last set of Cooper STT's. About 90,000 km on a set of 6, rotating every 10,000 km. There's still a bit of tread left on them, but not a lot. They are a bit noisy, but I usually travel alone in my Patrol ute which is noisy anyway. Only had one puncture in that time at the Bendleby Ranges. Plugged it and did another 30,000 km on it.

Current set of STT's did about 10,000km on my 40 series Troopy and are now on my ute. They're going well.

My 2c.

Comment

Bridgestone LT 694 Duellers. Been great on road, in the sand and on any dirt track. Got around 80.000 kms out of the older Desert Duellers.

Comment

Working...
                  X