Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 / 93 Patrol - What to look for ?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a Nissan Patrol for my son. Probably be a 92 or 93 model, 7 seater. Around $5000 - $6000

Is there anything in particular that I should look out for / any "weakness" or potential hazards that I might want to avoid ?

I've not had much experience with Nissans (I'm a Toyota man) so any advise would be appreciated,

Thanks.

First thing if you want a good truck, get a Landcruiser!!!

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Oddball" post=29854
      First thing if you want a good truck, get a Landcruiser!!!
      Beat me to it, I was gonna say look for a Toyota badge.

Have a look at the Jackaroo... 7 seats and surprisingly capable.
    Also a lot more comfortable to drive, particularly if you (or your son) is of the 6 foot plus variety.
    Shorter in the body, but not in the wheelbase (better aproach/departure angles) and more space inside.

Yeah... I own one, I'm biased. But they are good. And you'll have a better chance of scoring a tarmac terror (not been off road) in a Jack than you will in a Patrol. A lot of them were used for shopping and the school run and not much else. Almost any 20 year old Patrol will have been abused at some point.
    Patrols are tough though, I'll give them that. Just not that comfortable to drive, and the wagons (MK-MQ 7 seaters?) are friggen HUGE with a turning circle of a supertanker.

Of course, it all depends on what the lad wants to use it for. The Patrols/60/80 series cruisers are much more moddable than the Jack.

Col

Comment

I too would prefer a Cruiser. As I said, I'm a Toyota man, but the boy is set on a Patrol.
      Not really interested in how the Patrol compares to anything else, just want to know if there are any particular points to look for.

Thanks.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Village idiot" post=29882
        I too would prefer a Cruiser. As I said, I'm a Toyota man, but the boy is set on a Patrol.
        Not really interested in how the Patrol compares to anything else, just want to know if there are any particular points to look for.

Thanks.
        From memory some Patrols of that vintage suffered from front-end problems due to miss-allignment of steering/suspension components on the frame, resulting in a shudder/vibration when driving at hwy speeds and eventual failure of steering/suspension components. Look for front tyres with unusual wear patterns, worn/broken bushings on sway bars, control arms and other steering/suspension joints & linkages, and cracks in front-end chassis members (particularly around bolt-holes and welds).

Reason I know about all this is that one of my neighbours back then had one of these lemons. Even though it was only 8 or 9mths old Nissan refused to do anything about it (kept going back to the dealer under warranty where they'd treat the symptoms such as rotating the tyres or replacing blown bushes but didn't investigate the cause of these) until one of the nightly current affairs shows ran a story on the problem with this model series of vehicles and my neighbour's vehicle was one of those featured in the broadcast; shortly afterwards I believe he received a brand new vehicle from them in return for the faulty one and a signed agreement to take no further action.

Thanks GSR, that's useful info that I will be sure to check on any Patrols that we look at.

Cheers

Comment

Generally speaking the drive train under a Patrol of that era is pretty much bullet proo so as long as it is not making any nasty noises when you test drive it, not much to worry about there. But check for obvious things like oil leaks etc. Make sure that it goes into 4wd high and low with no issues, doesn't pop out of gear, swivel hubs, free wheeling hubs etc

All pretty standard stuff.

Check the body mounts as they tend to wear/compress and start making noise, not a big deal to replace. (13of them for memory) but.a pain in the arse to replace (especially the rear ones)

Check the rear barn door that has the spare attached, as the hinges can sag with the extra weight on them.

The rear windows tended to rust out on them and a bit of a pain to find replacements. Also check the gutters, the windscreen corners and firewall for rust.

They are pretty much indesctrucible vehicle, not as plush as a cruiser but they do make great 4wd's. Nothing is really that hard to fix on them, apart from replacing a clutch in a manual and parts are cheap and plentiful.
        Look aroundwhere the battery tray mounts as the spot weld s can give way and cracks can appear due to the battery bouncing around on corrugated roads.

Comment

• Varmtr
          Varmtr commented
          Editing a comment
          As per Mogster has said.
          Also jump on to www.patrol4x4.com forum and have a read excellent source of info.
          I was a toyota man but after 3 busted front diffs in a 100 series I got a GU patrol and haven't looked back. The GQ and GU running gear is built like a brick out house.
          So what engine is in the patrol your looking at ?
          In regards to the side rear windows these are sliders if rusted out you can get replacement frames or do what a lot of guys do get plexi glass and rubbers and make them permanent.

I owned a food Maverick shorty (gq) of this era and the main thing I would say is they are a thirsty beast.

I went it over the crusier option due to the following:

Short wheel base
        Lower centre of gravity
        Wider track for greater stability
        Bulletproof axles
        Bulletproof gearbox
        Bulletproof transfer case
        Bulletproof motor
        Half the freaking price

The cruiser cannot match ANY of these features.

The cruiser is more comfortable and cheaper on the juice, but if you are into any hard stuff the transfer cases and axles are disposable items.

Each has their place.... but the landcruisers place is usually behind the patrol being towed home after another expensive breakdown

Comment

• Super6one
          Super6one commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by KricoKrazy" post=54286
          I owned a food Maverick shorty (gq) of this era and the main thing I would say is they are a thirsty beast.

I went it over the crusier option due to the following:

Short wheel base
          Lower centre of gravity
          Wider track for greater stability
          Bulletproof axles
          Bulletproof gearbox
          Bulletproof transfer case
          Bulletproof motor
          Half the freaking price

The cruiser cannot match ANY of these features.

The cruiser is more comfortable and cheaper on the juice, but if you are into any hard stuff the transfer cases and axles are disposable items.

Each has their place.... but the landcruisers place is usually behind the patrol being towed home after another expensive breakdown
          "The cruiser cannot match ANY of these features"

That's a joke right???

You don't see many if any patrols with 600,000-1,000,000kms on them with hardly any work....

Oh yeah, the weakest points on the gq's are the ends of the rear bumper that get really easily bent and smash your tail lights (dumb design but easily fixed with aftermarket ends or bar), the rusting sliding window frames mentioned above, and the hinges on the barn doors.... especially with big aftermarket rim/tyre combos.

Headlight looms could also do with an upgrade for better lighting, but this isn't just a gq issue.

As you can see, none of the weak points are mechanical....

Comment

• dansedgli
          dansedgli commented
          Editing a comment
          Also check for rust where the standard sidesteps mount.

Other than what is mentioned they are pretty solid. Get a diesel if you can. LPG costs 90 cents in Melbourne now.

I can't comment on wagons but I have a 1994 patrol ute witch i have had for 14 years now and it has been the best car I have ever owned . In saying that they still have there faults.
        1.They run rather hot ( I haven't met anyone that owns one or works on them tell me different )so a extra thermo fan or 3 core radiator are a good option to have.

2.Lack of power. I use to tow a 5.5 Formosa reef boat up the palmerstom range from Innisfail to Milla Milla in 2nd the whole way. Towing it behind a 1996 land cruiser I would be in 3rd the whole way. Behind my mates new hilux it would be in 4th. So turbo charging is a good option , except they over heat really easy with the extra power so a extra thermo fan and/or 3 core radiator and a oil cooler is a good idea .

4. THIRSTY. Having no power means that the foot is always burred into the firewall so can expect around 16l to the 100 on average .

5. Severing. why nissan would throw in 2 oil filters and 2 air filters I will never no. It just ads to severing cost.

6. Factory parts. Nissan parts are so expensive so if u can't find what u are looking for at the wrecker u can expect to pay a fortune.

In saying all that there are a excellent rig that are comfortable to drive around town with there coil spring suspension . And a really good LSD that actual works ( un like a Landcrusers ).I find the landcrusers are easer to drive in the bush thx to there tapered guards and narrower wheel base but the nissan wins with more suspension travel and traction thx to the diff.

Just my 2c

Comment

Working...
        X