Birdsville track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdsville track

Gday just wondering how rough/bad the road is? Does time of year matter? Im thinkin January prolly cos that's the only time off I got from work.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Depends mate, what's your fourby like?
    Have you taken out the guess and installed EFS?
    Gotta love it, I know I do.

Comment

Not a 4x4 a bike...

Just wondering how bad the road can be corregated and rutted and sandy. I know its only 500k of dirt but it has a bit of a reputation so wondering how deserved it is in this day n age.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

January will be hot, very hot, and then some, plus a rare chance of rain which turns it to mud in sections.
        Anshultz 1451D 22LR - Interarms Mini Mauser Mark X 7.62x39 - Howa Sporter 223 - Omark 308W - Enfield No1 Mk3 303 - Tikka CTR 308W

Comment

• fishphillott
          fishphillott commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Goddy" post=28555
          January will be hot, very hot, and then some, plus a rare chance of rain which turns it to mud in sections.
          While I don't live that far west I and many more won't mind if he comes out and brings rain lol

would be good if he did. Starting to get some rain out at work here, between Dajarra/Boulia area. Need a lot more. Hope some heads down your way.
        Anshultz 1451D 22LR - Interarms Mini Mauser Mark X 7.62x39 - Howa Sporter 223 - Omark 308W - Enfield No1 Mk3 303 - Tikka CTR 308W

Comment

Yeah I know its hot up there in January. Ive lived in both Hawker and Woomera though a few summers. The heat doesn't bother me so much as the road.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Last time we went there, 20 odd years ago, it was about as rugged as your average capital city freeway. Friends came with us in their XE Falcon wagon, and we saw a Ford Laser doing about 100kph up the road.
            "Track" is a bit of a misnomer nowadays, I think.

It will be stinking hot in January, though.

Ian

Comment

• Sambar Country
              Sambar Country commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Igoe" post=28849
              Last time we went there, 20 odd years ago, it was about as rugged as your average capital city freeway. Friends came with us in their XE Falcon wagon, and we saw a Ford Laser doing about 100kph up the road.

Ian
              Same thing, went to the Birdsville Races in a 4WD and I reckon there were more sedans on the track. If it's wet it can be a nightmare. It is remote. Be prepared. Yep, I would give it a miss in summer.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Igoe" post=28849

Ian
              My folks did it with a 27 foot long Winnebago, towing a Suzuki Vitara.

I'm not from around there, but where we are in a remote part of the territory you can reach in your average sedan no worries, which gets people into trouble ALL the time. They underestimate the conditions, distances and lack of simple services they take for granted anywhere else. Don't think about where they are and how easily any situation can turn to clag. Most people on these forums have more common sense than the average tourist, and I don't want to sound patronising, but just because grey nomads can get there in their motor homes, doesn't mean it will be an easy trip. Like I said, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, or experience, so please don't take it the wrong way, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
            If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by RockRanger" post=28944
              I'm not from around there, but where we are in a remote part of the territory you can reach in your average sedan no worries, which gets people into trouble ALL the time. They underestimate the conditions, distances and lack of simple services they take for granted anywhere else. Don't think about where they are and how easily any situation can turn to clag. Most people on these forums have more common sense than the average tourist, and I don't want to sound patronising, but just because grey nomads can get there in their motor homes, doesn't mean it will be an easy trip. Like I said, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, or experience, so please don't take it the wrong way, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
              Some valid points. I will add further, there was a convoy of "grey nomads", and they suffered their fair share of breakdowns, especially considering the vehicles were never designed for rough roads.

So true RockRanger.
            You know what they say.
            An ounce of prevention,……is worth more than a pound of cure.
            When those roads are good,…they're good.
            But when they're bad,…they're bbbbbbbad.

Comment

Yeah might be too hot in January to really be a fun trip. Its just the only time off I got the next 6 or so months.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd be taking a satellite phone or a PLB!

Cheers for the info. I missed out on going in my Jan holidays but Ive got a couple weeks off in about a month. Im hoping to get a few days to go then

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X