New 4x4 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 4x4 help

Hey folks. I'm after a new car and wanting a 4x4. The misses and I have decided on a Nissan navara. We're looking at spending around $18,000 with under 140,000kms, diesel and manual. Preferably a soft cover or cabin (so the dog can jump in the back). We've got a bit of a dilemma with the models of the navara with anchor points for child restraints. We'd need three, and to fit a booster, front facing car seat and now the new news, a baby capsule too!
    So can anyone recommend a model with this available? Any thoughts on the navara? This car would be used on city roads with frequent trips to the country. Would a lift kit be necessary for say Flinders Ranges? How would it go with towing (4.6m fibreglass boat)?
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

What year model navara are we talking about and what shape ie d22 or d40. Good luck with a capsule. You'll need an f truck to fit those things into. A friend of mine use to work for Nissan. He wasn't a fan of the Nissan diesels in either 3.0 or 2.5. In his opinion they were blowing too many turbos after 80,000km. He reckoned it was 50/50 with them. Probaby why the 4.2s are still so expensive second hand. You can drive those to the moon and back. Not saying it to put you off or to slag off Nissan. I'm sure there's probably Navara owners here who's cars have been fine.

Comment

• billygoat-gruff
      billygoat-gruff commented
      Editing a comment
      We've been looking at both d40 and d22 from 06 to 2010. Any feedback is good feedback mate. I've always wanted a hilux Sr-5 but can't afford it

If you are looking for space Id recommend the triton, I got one and have had no problems, drives a bit nice than the Navara too.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by stewymc" post=22999
      If you are looking for space Id recommend the triton, I got one and have had no problems, drives a bit nice than the Navara too.
      +1 for the Triton, manual, diesel turbo.

If you are getting a diesel consider compromising and getting a Hilux with more mileage, say 250k.
    Those donks will last at least 500k if they have been looked after, just replace the other bits and pieces as needed. I'm planning on running mine indefinatly. Get a mechanical inspection before you buy though.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

cheers for all the feedback guys. anyone had experience with the landcruiser 6cyl 4.5ltr diesel? found a few of them around $18-20,000 with under 250,000kms
      It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

• SPRINT-GTO
        SPRINT-GTO commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry bad info !!

I couldn't go past another Toyota prado bloody good wagon just wish I bought the 3ltr turbo diesel model with an auto trans .

Comment

• billygoat-gruff
        billygoat-gruff commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=23083
        I couldn't go past another Toyota prado bloody good wagon just wish I bought the 3ltr turbo diesel model with an auto trans .
        what motor do you have now? why don't ya like the manual?

Each to their own on auto vs manual, though I wouldn't get an old auto. Too expensive if something goes wrong with it.
      "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

+1 to that ^. These diesels aren't like the old 3.8 litre commodore motors. By that I mean they won't handle missed services, cheap oils and general abuse. If you can't track its history then take a walk no matter good of a deal it appears to be.

Comment

• smithandwesson
          smithandwesson commented
          Editing a comment
          Lot of hate out there for navaras now why is it there are so many around?

mate had a brand new navara and the engine light would come on .Was a bit of a worry in the middle of nowhere and it lost power the engine light came onand it was only a few months old . we turned it of for a while then back on and luckily was good for the rest of the trip . but it was a on going problem .and that was just this year dont think he will be buying another also this car has been getting serviced and repaired by the dealer

Comment

Id also look into getting a wagon instead. much better fuel economy out of the newer ones. however price might be the limiting factor. as far as the 4x4 duel cab. is there anything that the navara does that a pj/pk ranger wont do. there are a million rangers around because a lot if not most government companys like local councils run them and company's like telstra as well. this means there is a huge amount of spare parts which makes fixing them cheaper than the competitors and also drags the price of a second hand one right down because there are so many on the market. I just picked up a 2010 ranger with a service body on it that has done 130k kms with logbooks for 14500. I already have an alloy tray to go on it that I had sitting around and im also looking at a good quality second hand steel one for 300. even if I dont get any money for selling the service body il still get a little bit for scrap metal value.

Comment

• Varmtr
            Varmtr commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad I have a TD42 patrol.

I can only say i have the toyota 80 series 1HD-FT and its is nothing but a pleasure pull well tows great , overtakes without issues , COMFORTABLE to drive etc

For you plenty of anchor points and room for the family , the dog and heaps of spare gear if you run out of room there is the roof racks very easy car to service yourself doesnt require full synthetic oils , filters spare parts easily obtainable and every mechanic in the bush know how to work on a 80 if you do get stuck which ill doubt you will

Reasonably fuel efficient the major factor i find is how heavy your foot is found the optimum speed is around 90-100k any faster and it starts to guzzle AVG L per 100k is is around 10.5-11L start hammering and it jumps to 13-14L

Comment

Working...
          X